Friday, March 4, 2011

A preview: In the long run

Since I am getting ready for the Boston Marathon, I am doing plenty of long runs. I have tons of time to think while I am out there, and I realized that I have been doing a long run every Sunday morning since 1993 when I started running at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. Aside from some illnesses, injuries or pregnancy, it’s just part of my weekly routine.
Of course , my long runs have, well, come a long way from when I began running. In high school I ran about 20 miles a week. My long runs were about 50 minutes.
My first day at UNC was a 55-minute run (about 8 miles) and that was considered an easy run. I guess I would say my training did not officially begin until I went to UNC and began a structured program.
You can read this week's entire Marathon Mom column in Saturday's Herald

No comments:

Post a Comment